Guided Imagery for a Successful Surgery
Guided Imagery is an evidence-based mind/body practice that will help your mind focus on positive images and thoughts. It can change thinking patterns and help you feel relaxed while giving you a sense of well-being before and after your surgery or procedure. Relaxation supports better sleep, decreased pain and improves healing.
The imagery, affirmations (positive statements that support an “I can” attitude) and music provided on this page are supported by research, user friendly and can be simply practiced at your convenience and privacy of your home.
Follow these steps to get the greatest benefit from the Guided Imagery
Before your Surgery
- The Guided Imagery can be downloaded at your home to your personal devices (such as a computer, phone or tablet).
- Find a comfortable spot to sit or lie quietly for 20-40 minutes. Don't worry about doing it perfectly. The more you listen, the easier it will be to relax.
- Press “play” and let the words, and music, take you where you want to go.
- Whether you fall asleep or stay awake, these audio programs will help to calm your mind, body and spirit, setting the stage for the positive effect you seek.
- Listen repeatedly, once or twice a day (starting 3-4 days) before your procedure/surgery. Notice how you feel before and after the meditation
After your Surgery
- Some find it helpful to listen to the audio (affirmations, imagery or music) immediately after surgery to maintain a sense of calm and relaxation.
- To help in your recovery continue to listen to the audio 2-3 time a day for as many days as you like after your surgery. Notice how you feel after you do this over the next few days.
- Find a comfortable spot to sit or lie quietly for 20-40 minutes. Don't worry about doing it perfectly or if you fall asleep. The more you listen, the easier it will be to relax.
Northwell Health’s Center for Wellness and Integrative Medicine offers a new model of health and wellness—one that aims to combine modern medicine, healthy lifestyle practices and complementary healing modalities. At the Center, we focus on wellness and prevention. Our approach is evidence-based, customized and shown to be safe and effective. We provide cutting-edge programs, trainings and offerings that foster whole person health and healing. Our services include exercise and movement, mind-body therapies, wellness, coaching and energy healing.
The Center offers additional integrative approaches for surgery patients. For more information about our services, we encourage you to explore our website, www.northwellcwim.com or contact us at 516-858-3095.
Once you begin playing a track, additional tracks will stream consecutively until you reach the end of a title. Streaming will continue even if your device goes to sleep.
Guided imagery is not a substitute for medical treatment. Do not use while driving or operating machinery.
A high speed connection is recommended for downloading large files. Downloading audio files with a dial-up connection may take several hours.