Guided Imagery is an evidence-based mind/body practice that will help your mind focus on positive images and thoughts. It can change thinking patterns and help you feel relaxed while giving you a sense of well-being. This script is specifically designed for people with cancer –those seeking help for issues including but not limited to pain, fatigue, fear, anxiety and treatment-related nausea. Research supports the full range of benefits including: decreasing the stress response, improving relaxation and sleep, and enhancing the body’s natural cancer-fighting abilities (heightening the activity of NK cells, T-cells and other immune mechanisms).
The imagery, affirmations (positive statements that support an “I can” attitude) and music provided on this page are user friendly and can be simply practiced at your convenience and in the privacy of your home by streaming on your favorite device.
Follow these steps to get the greatest benefit from the Guided Imagery
- Find a comfortable spot to sit or lie quietly for 20-40 minutes. Don't worry about doing it perfectly. The more you listen, the easier it will be to relax.
- Press “play” and let the words, and music, take you where you want to go.
- Whether you fall asleep or stay awake, these audio programs will help to calm your mind, body and spirit.
To facilitate healing through Cancer:
- Listen to the audio (affirmations, imagery or music) immediately before or after any treatments (radiation or chemo, etc) to maintain a sense of calm and relaxation.
- People often listen to the audio as often as 2-3 times a day. There is no limit.
- Once you begin playing a track, additional tracks will stream consecutively until you reach the end of a title. Streaming will continue even if your device goes to sleep.
Guided imagery is not a substitute for medical treatment. Do not use while driving or operating machinery.
About the Center for Wellness and Integrative Medicine:
Northwell Health’s Center for Wellness and Integrative Medicine offers additional integrative approaches for healing through and after cancer—one that aims to combine modern medicine, healthy lifestyle practices and complementary healing modalities. Our services for people with cancer include: acupuncture, massage, reflexology, yoga, pilates, tai chi easy, reiki and wellness coaching. Contact the Center for more information about our services. We encourage you to explore our website, www.northwellcwim.com or contact us at 516-858-3095.
NOTE: Once you begin playing a track, the tracks that follow will stream automatically. Streaming will continue even if your device goes to sleep.